Point Lookout Lighthouse

Historical Lighthouse Pictures


Exterior Pictures


1925View.jpg

60 files, last one added on Mar 29, 2012
Album viewed 259 times

PointLookout



0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Bell Tower


FogBellTowerBell.jpg

8 files, last one added on Jan 24, 2015
Album viewed 120 times

Interior Pictures


Basement1.jpg

16 files, last one added on Jan 05, 2009
Album viewed 228 times

4 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - General Lighthouse Pictures
FogBellTower.jpg
Fog Bell Tower at CBMM125 viewsThis is the fog bell tower as it stands at CBMM in St Michaels, Maryland. The Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society (PLLPS), Inc. is working to return this wonderful piece of history to Point Lookout. (See www.PLLPS.org for the latest info). As of 2010, the fog bell tower is owned by the Navy and on loan to CBMM.
PLO1920s.jpg
Pt Lookout Lighthouse in the 1920s282 viewsPoint Lookout Lighthouse and various buildings behind and beside it. Lucille Nestler is a relative of one of the Lighthouse keepers of Point Lookout and has provided this photograph.

furnace.jpg
436 viewsThe furnace is located in the northwest side basement room. A retaining wall was built around the furnace to protect it from the frequent flooding that occurs at the Point. The rusty old furnace was not old or rusty as recently as 1981, when it was in good working order. Heating a twelve room house required a lot of expensive oil. Residents have reported that the house was pretty warm in the winter due to the 14-inch thick walls. However, the 500 gallon oil tank always needed refilling and was quite expensive during the oil crisis in the early 80's.

ploback.jpg
175 views
wharf1885.jpg
Point Lookout Buoy Depot238 viewsMen sitting on the wharf at Point Lookout buoy depot. Notice the bell tower in the background, between the buoy sheds and the lighthouse.
tornwalls.jpg
391 viewsThe interior walls are in bad shape. Some of the damage has been caused by vandals, however, other areas were opened up as part of a structural evaluation prior to the 2002 rennovation. The brick in the old part of the lighthouse is 14" thick.
Northside.jpg
279 viewsYou can clearly see the entrance to the basement and the flag pole in the yard. This flag pole was used for boat warning flags during heavy winds when Laura Berg lived in the lighthouse. This side is photographed most often because the public has access to this view, and this is the side you first see when driving toward the Lighthouse.

kitchen.jpg
Kitchen502 viewsThis room is used as the entrance to the Lighthouse. Many of the cabinets have been removed, however, the stove and sink fixtures still remain in fairly good shape.

Last additions - General Lighthouse Pictures
FogBellTowerBell.jpg
104 viewsJan 24, 2015
FogBellTower.jpg
116 viewsJan 24, 2015
FogBellTower2.jpg
109 viewsJan 24, 2015
1925View.jpg
Exterior of Lighthouse, Looking South110 viewsThis photograph is a rare find and shows the lighthouse in 1927, just 2 years before the 1927 remodel. The photos are part of a larger photo album documenting a 1925 trip to southern Maryland by Julia Dent Best and Alfred Sellman Best. Julia Best was a 1919 graduate of what was then called St. Mary's Female Seminary. The album was donated to St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives by Julia Best's great-niece, Virginia Arndt, of Solomons.Mar 29, 2012
BellTower1925.jpg
View of the Coal and Buoy Sheds from the Lighthouse Roof113 viewsLooking south from the roof of the lighthouse, c. 1925. Note the fog bell tower in the center of the picture(attached to coal shed). The photos are part of a larger photo album documenting a 1925 trip to southern Maryland by Julia Dent Best and Alfred Sellman Best. Julia Best was a 1919 graduate of what was then called St. Mary's Female Seminary. The album was donated to St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives by Julia Best's great-niece, Virginia Arndt, of Solomons.Mar 29, 2012
FogBellTower2.jpg
Fog Bell Tower at CBMM135 viewsAnother view of the fog bell tower. Note that the fourth side of the lighthouse has been refinished with wood planking since the structure used to be attached to the coal shed at the Point Lookout Lighthouse Complex. The bell was cast in 1857 by the Meneely Company in New York. Fun fact: the lumber was pre-cut and installed on site, each piece is numbered to allow for simple construction onsite.Oct 16, 2010
FogBellTowerBell.jpg
Fog Bell Tower at CBMM126 viewsA close-up of the fog bell tower and cat walk. The view from above was spectacular.Oct 16, 2010
FogBellTower.jpg
Fog Bell Tower at CBMM125 viewsThis is the fog bell tower as it stands at CBMM in St Michaels, Maryland. The Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society (PLLPS), Inc. is working to return this wonderful piece of history to Point Lookout. (See www.PLLPS.org for the latest info). As of 2010, the fog bell tower is owned by the Navy and on loan to CBMM. Oct 16, 2010