Point Lookout Lighthouse
Light House Service Organization
Lighthouses have a long history that pre-dates the formation of
these United States of America.
The first session of Congress provided funds for lighthouses, because
they were necessary to ensure the free flow of goods and people to the U.S.
Lighthouses were first administered by the Secretary of the Treasury,
future president Alexander Hamilton. In
1820, the Fifth Auditor of the Treasury, under the leadership of Stephen
Pleasanton, took control of the lighthouses.
Point Lookout was built in 1830, with many exchanges between the
government and the landowner Jenifer Taylor.
In fact, the lighthouse was built and occupied for 2 years before the
transfer of land was officially completed!
In 1852, Congress placed control of the lighthouses in the hands of the
United States Lighthouse Board, which was composed of three officers, three army
engineers and two civilians; the Secretary of the Treasury served as the
ex-officio president of the board. In
1903, responsibility for the lighthouses was once again transferred, this time
to the Department of Commerce and Labor.
In 1910, Congress established the Bureau of Lighthouses, with top
management appointed by the president.
In 1939, the responsibility for lighthouses was transferred to the Coast
Source: Putnam, George R. "Beacons of the Sea," National Geographic Magazine, January 1913, pp. 1-53. George Putnam headed the Bureau of Lighthouses from 1910 to 1935