My Gallery

Your online photo album


Most viewed - Exterior Pictures
buoys1885.jpg
Point Lookout Lighthouse from the end of the Buoy Tracks960 viewsA lone buoy sits on the wharf. To the left of the lighthouse is the original fog bell, which was made ineffective by the adjacent buoy repair and coal sheds, and would later be replaced by a tower at the end of the coal shed.
BuoyTrack1950s.jpg
Buoy Tracks 1950s954 viewsA view of the lighthouse, buoy repair shed and coal shed from the 1950s. The tracks on the wharf were used to transport buoys from ships to the repair shed and back.
CGHO-003.jpg
Lighthouse Complex from Point Lookout Sandbar872 viewsFrom the sandbar on the Chesapeake Bay side, looking north toward the sheds and lighthouse.
CGHO-008-house.jpg
Aerial View (closeup), pre-1927 remodel849 viewsAerial view closeup of the lighthouse, from the south. However, close inspection of the lighthouse reveals that this picture was taken PRIOR to the remodel in 1927; the summer kitchen/bedroom wing on the Potomac side of the house is visible. Also notice the two chimneys on opposite ends of what is the present day first floor living rooms. A building exists in the upper right hand corner of the picture.
CGHO-006.jpg
Lighthouse Complex from the Wharf, after 1927 remodel849 viewsView of the lighthouse from the Potomac River. Notice the men on the wharf.
CGHO-005casino.jpg
View from Potomac River Wharf845 viewsView from the wharf, looking east to the lighthouse. Notice the sign in the middle left of the image- it says "Handsome casino to be built here".
CGHO-005.jpg
843 viewsView from the wharf, looking east to the lighthouse. Notice the sign in the middle left of the image. The picture has various captions on the back including Filed May 7, 1928; taken Feb. 1928 W.J. Taylor; "LOOKING EAST".
The back of the picture also has a date of 2-1-52 Point Lookout MD. Depot Photographer Carter (SN) U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

1925View.jpg
Exterior of Lighthouse, Looking South841 viewsThis photograph is a rare find and shows the lighthouse in 1927, just 2 years before the 1927 remodel. The photos are part of a larger photo album documenting a 1925 trip to southern Maryland by Julia Dent Best and Alfred Sellman Best. Julia Best was a 1919 graduate of what was then called St. Mary's Female Seminary. The album was donated to St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives by Julia Best's great-niece, Virginia Arndt, of Solomons.
CGHO-006-wharfmen.jpg
Men on the Point Lookout Wharf840 viewsCloseup view of the men on the wharf. The timeframe of this picture and the men's identity is unknown.
BellTower1925.jpg
View of the Coal and Buoy Sheds from the Lighthouse Roof837 viewsLooking south from the roof of the lighthouse, c. 1925. Note the fog bell tower in the center of the picture(attached to coal shed). The photos are part of a larger photo album documenting a 1925 trip to southern Maryland by Julia Dent Best and Alfred Sellman Best. Julia Best was a 1919 graduate of what was then called St. Mary's Female Seminary. The album was donated to St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives by Julia Best's great-niece, Virginia Arndt, of Solomons.
CGHO-002.jpg
Lighthouse Complex823 viewsView of the lighthouse complex from the Potomac River side wharf.
CGHO-008.jpg
Aerial View, pre-1927 remodel822 viewsAerial view of the lighthouse, from the south. The front of the picture says "Filed June 28, 1928". However, close inspection of the lighthouse reveals that this picture was taken PRIOR to the remodel in 1927; the summer kitchen/bedroom wing on the Potomac side of the house is visible.
60 files on 5 page(s) 1