My Gallery

Your online photo album


Top rated - General Lighthouse Pictures
lh1.jpg
649 views55555
(2 votes)
jetty.jpg
View from a Jetty672 viewsThere is one jetty in the fishing area which remains as of 1999 on the Chesapeake Bay side. This is a great view of the Lighthouse. Photographs taken by psychic investigators revealed the figure of a man sitting near this jetty; the apparition was visible to the human eye. This area is where the prison hospital was located.

55555
(2 votes)
CGHO-008-house.jpg
Aerial View (closeup), pre-1927 remodel760 viewsAerial view closeup of the lighthouse, from the south. However, close inspection of the lighthouse reveals that this picture was taken PRIOR to the remodel in 1927; the summer kitchen/bedroom wing on the Potomac side of the house is visible. Also notice the two chimneys on opposite ends of what is the present day first floor living rooms. A building exists in the upper right hand corner of the picture.
55555
(2 votes)
1925View.jpg
Exterior of Lighthouse, Looking South680 viewsThis photograph is a rare find and shows the lighthouse in 1927, just 2 years before the 1927 remodel. The photos are part of a larger photo album documenting a 1925 trip to southern Maryland by Julia Dent Best and Alfred Sellman Best. Julia Best was a 1919 graduate of what was then called St. Mary's Female Seminary. The album was donated to St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives by Julia Best's great-niece, Virginia Arndt, of Solomons.55555
(1 votes)
BellTower1925.jpg
View of the Coal and Buoy Sheds from the Lighthouse Roof680 viewsLooking south from the roof of the lighthouse, c. 1925. Note the fog bell tower in the center of the picture(attached to coal shed). The photos are part of a larger photo album documenting a 1925 trip to southern Maryland by Julia Dent Best and Alfred Sellman Best. Julia Best was a 1919 graduate of what was then called St. Mary's Female Seminary. The album was donated to St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives by Julia Best's great-niece, Virginia Arndt, of Solomons.55555
(1 votes)
Basement1.jpg
823 viewsSouth Side Basement, middle room.55555
(1 votes)
lh3.jpg
551 views55555
(1 votes)
Towerhallway.jpg
773 viewsBoth the North and South sides of the Lighthouse have private entrances to the Tower. The entrance to the tower opens into a steep spiral staircase with small steps; the staircase ends at a landing where the door to the attic is located. To reach the light, you must then climb a ladder leading to a narrow hatch. Once through the hatch, you are officially in the Lighthouse Cupola/Tower! During Hans Holzer's visit, one of the mediums got an impression that a man had been murdered in the entrance to the tower. A voice recorded here said in a British accent, "Hold your tongue, Handsome (or Hanson)".

55555
(1 votes)
furnace.jpg
844 viewsThe furnace is located in the northwest side basement room. A retaining wall was built around the furnace to protect it from the frequent flooding that occurs at the Point. The rusty old furnace was not old or rusty as recently as 1981, when it was in good working order. Heating a twelve room house required a lot of expensive oil. Residents have reported that the house was pretty warm in the winter due to the 14-inch thick walls. However, the 500 gallon oil tank always needed refilling and was quite expensive during the oil crisis in the early 80's.

55555
(1 votes)
fusebox.jpg
869 viewsThis picture shows the fuse box located in the basement. The fuses blew frequently and Laura had to go to the basement in complete darkness to change the fuses. This is the only room where she did not feel comfortable entering; unfortunately she had to go to the basement all the time to replace blown fuses. Point Lookout State Park personnel used the basement for storage. The fusebox wall contains two windows that look out to the Chesapeake Bay (the windows are located underneath the porch). To the right of the blue fusebox, you can see a portion of the original brick wall exposed by the crumbling cement; the original walls were covered by cement during a previous renovation.

55555
(1 votes)
AnnDavisHallway.jpg
808 viewsA visitor to the Lighthouse reported seeing a woman dressed in a long blue dress at this location (the top of the stairs). The visitor had the impression this was Ann Davis, the first female lighthousekeeper who was alone here for thirty years. One of Hans Holzer's investigators stated that a woman haunted these stairs and this woman had often thought about throwing herself down the staircase. (Note: this staircase did not exist during the time that Ann Davis lived in the lighthouse; the staircase was added as part of the 1927 remodel).55555
(1 votes)
fogbell.jpg
Fog Bell 1958630 viewsThe fogbell at Point Lookout. The structure was moved to St. Michaels Maritime Museum, where it currently resides. Courtesy of the U.S. Navy from the Tester newspaper: U.S. Naval Air Test Center, Patuxent River, Maryland, Friday, July 25, 1958, Vol. XV- No. 29, Pages 4-5. Special thanks to Charlie Kidd for sharing his copy of this newspaper, and to the Public Information office at Patuxent Naval Air Station (PAX) for supplying a higher resolution version.

55555
(1 votes)
71 files on 6 page(s) 1